Measuring and Calibrating Engine Performance
Our capabilities allow us to close the loop of our design and development activities, with the validation of each newly designed system.
Our wide spectrum of engine test activities include
- Engine Performance Evaluation
- Engine Mapping, Calibration and Optimization
- Engine Combustion Analysis
- Vibration and NVH Measurements and Analysis
We develop various Test Solutions for
- Engine testing
- Testing of the complete power train with engine and transmission
- Engine-in-the-Loop Testing with Rotor/ Propeller simulation for air vehicles
- High Altitude Simulation Testing, see more at: ALTITUDE SIMULATION TEST ENVIRONMENT.
- Durability Testing
- End-Of Line
Tailor-Made Test Solutions
Very ofter the unit under test requires a tailor made test environment and adoptations. For that reason we are able to customize a test bench as required:
- test cell design and development
- conditioning systems for engine -coolant, -induction air, -altitude and -oil
- development of embedded electronic controls, hardware and software devices
Testing engine units in the loop
RED develops test rigs when engine systems shall be tested decoupled from the engine:
- oil system test rigs
- fuel system test rigs, for common rail fuel systems
- water pump test rigs
- alternator test rigs
- cooling system test rigs
Increase Engine Performance by customizing air induction systems
RED offers a wide spectrum of engineering solutions to our customers, in order to increase the performance of a high compression piston engine, by finding the right turbocharger concept.
Using our expertise allows us to match the requirements in that key technology, for sea level and altitude application.
Our Methods and Solutions
- calculation, modeling and simulation, read more
- conceptual layout and design of multi-stage induction systems, read more
- matching the engine, turbine and compressor interaction
- production of compressor and center housing, read more
- turbocharger testing and validation
- aircraft turbocharger development for very high altitude application
Turbocharger testing at simulated altitudeRED has developed a unique system to simulate the high altitude conditions directly at the engine interface. The system was maturely used since more than a decade in the scope of aviation piston engine developments. It is a very cost effective solution, to test and optimize piston engine at high altitude conditions, avoiding the expensive high altitude chamber. We profit from the data and experience we have accumulated, to understand and optimize turbochargers for high altitude applications.
Altitude Test Bench – Simulating Altitude directly at the engine interface
RED has developed a unique system to simulate the high altitude conditions directly at the engine interface. The system was maturely used since more than a decade in the scope of aviation piston engine developments. It is a very cost effective solution, to test and optimize piston engine at high altitude conditions, and allows avoiding the expensive high altitude test chamber.
- very cost effective solution, compared to high altitude chamber tests
- autonomeous altitude conditioning system, designed to be integrated into a conventional piston engine test bench
- simulates altitude conditions at the air intake and exhaust
- temperature and pressure conditioning according to International Standard Atmosphere (ISA) conditions, up to FL250 or higher
- electronically controlled in closed loop
- for static and transient engine operations and performance measurements
- can be integrated into a turbocharger hot gas test bench
Please contact us for more information.